Protecting the Foothills & Mountains West of Denver
Worried About Wildfires?
We Help Protect Your Home & Family From Forest Fires
While the Colorado foothills west of Denver are a beautiful place to live, the area is unfortunately prone to devastating wildfires. Dry forest fuel (such as we usually experience in the summer) and high winds compound the problem.
Fire mitigation is one of the most important and effective ways to protect yourself, your family, and your home from the risk of catastrophic damage in a forest fire.
What Is Wildfire Mitigation?
Wildfire mitigation allows you to minimize the destructive effects a wildfire has on your property by creating a defensible space around your home and modifying the home's construction (for example, the materials used to build your house). Defensible space is the area around your house where the vegetation, including shrubs and trees, has been modified or removed to reduce the intensity of a wildfire and slow its spread.
Most Insurance Companies Require Fire Mitigation
Colorado has the country's third highest percentage of homes at risk of destruction from wildfire, with over 366,000 homes at risk (according to a wildfire risk management tool used by insurers).
It's therefore not surprising that most companies that provide homeowner (or commercial building) insurance in our area require you to create and implement a fire mitigation plan before they will provide (or renew) your insurance. Without insurance, not only are you financially responsible for all damage, but your mortgage company (which requires you to have homeowners insurance) may cancel your financing.
When the Law Requires a Fire Mitigation Plan
When you buy a new home, the law mandates that you obtain a fire mitigation plan from the county.
If the plan calls for trees to be removed from around your house, you must hire a tree care company to remove the trees (note - it's important to hire a tree company that understands fire mitigation!). The property must then be reinspected by the Forestry inspector before you can be issued a certificate of occupancy (CO). Some insurance companies also require that certificate in order to provide coverage (in addition to their own inspection).
Fire Mitigation Services from LAM Tree Service
Our tree care professionals focus on reducing the number and volume of combustible plant fuels around your property to create a defensible space.
We focus on three levels of potential threats to your property:
- Ground Fuels - These are combustible materials found on the ground, such as dry leaves and needles, fallen trees and branches, and dead plants (including trees). Removing them helps to slow down the speed and intensity of a wildfire.
- Ladder Fuels - Ladder fuels are materials that allow a fire to spread upward from the ground to the tree canopy or your roof. We carefully remove young trees/saplings, the lower branches of trees and any large shrubs that could ignite in a fire.
- Top Fuels - Heavy tree canopies allow a fire to quickly jump from tree to tree and spread beyond the reach of fire crews on the ground. Selectively thinning tree canopies can lower the risk of fire spreading.
Create a Defensible AND Beautiful Space
Defensible space doesn't have to be barren and ugly!
The Certified Arborists at LAM Tree Service can help you create a defensible and beautiful space around your home. You can have an attractive landscape that mitigates the spread of wildfire by:
- carefully choosing plants that are less flammable,
- planting and properly spacing them in areas that are less likely to contribute to wildfire, and
- maintaining healthy plants that are more fire resistant.
We specialize in helping you make the right choices and then implementing the plan to make your property and loved ones safer.
Get A Free Quote
Call us at 303-674-8733 or contact us online to get a free estimate for Fire Mitigation or a firewise landscaping consultation.
Saturday & Sunday by appointment only